Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Creating virtual development environment

I'm in the process of setting up a virtual machine running Ubuntu 8.10 server edition. This is going to be the system I setup as a Ruby development system. I created it with just a 2GB hard drive and used the jeos(Just Enough Operating System) options when I installed Ubuntu.

The trick is going to be installing everything I need without running out of disk space. I wanted the disk to be small so I could carry the virtual machine around on a usb flash drive.

I just tried using apt-get to install ant and it tells me that it needs to download 98 MB with 255MB being used when everything is done!

I just went to ant.apache.org and downloaded Ant directly. I think it might have taken up a tenth of the space it would have if I let apt-get do it's thing! Looks like that's the way to go!

I was able to get JRuby installed and running following the instructions in this blog post. Thanks Dermot!

It's funny how that post is over two years old! I guess I'm a little behind the times!

2 comments:

  1. Check out DSL http://damnsmalllinux.org/ for a super-tiny linux distro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have to check DSL out. It's tough to get Ubuntu to install only what's absolutely necessary!

    ReplyDelete